Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hello from Halifax!

My Experience at the Canada Winter Games
By Marcia Filgiano, Squash, Team Quebec

A week ago today I flew into Halifax with Team Quebec feeling slightly nervous, a little tired, but most of all excited. Many people had told me that the Canada Winter Games are a one-of-a-kind, exhilarating experience and, after a week, I can truly say that the Games have met and surpassed my expectations.

As a squash player, very few people know or understand my sport: after the Opening Ceremonies on Friday night, I felt like my performance was important in the Games and I truly felt like one of Canada’s top athletes.

Although competing every day becomes very tiring, the cafeteria is always open to us whether it is for “grazing” food, a salad, or a hardy hot meal. In addition, the warm and welcoming groups of volunteers are always around and they help organize many activities such as ice cream socials, movie nights, dances, concerts, and much more.

My favourite part of the CWG so far has been meeting all the athletes and artists from around Canada. I have met many players competing in various sports and I have created bonds that I believe I will never forget. It is a phenomenal experience and traveling as a team, cheering on every player, and wearing the Quebec colours have truly made me proud to be Canadian and to participate in the Canada Winter Games.

Check out SIRC's Canada Games webpage for more information!

No comments: