Monday, August 17, 2009

The 2009 Canada Games have started!

Hi, my name is Brandie Adams and I am the Reference Librarian at SIRC. I’m very excited to be attending the 2009 Canada Games in Prince Edward Island. If the energy and the weather continue like this they are sure to be the best Games yet! I could be slightly bias, I’m from PEI and it is a wonderful feeling to look around and see the whole Island get involved and support Canadian sport.

The opening ceremonies were in Summerside on Saturday. The athletes entered the Credit Union Place with big smiles waving their provincial flags. Each athlete was able to meet Governor General Michaelle Jean and Prime Minister Stephen Harper. We listened to uplifting speeches and were entertained by a variety of local musical talent.

With the first day of events complete the Games are well under way. Today is sure to be filled with activity. After attending the media briefing I'll be spending time in the Coaches of Canada Coaches’ Lounge before heading off to the watch some of the events. With basketball, beach volleyball, rugby, tennis, rowing, diving, softball, tennis, cycling, soccer and sailing happening there are lots of things to choose from today! In two days I’ve met some fantastic people so I'm looking forward to seeing what today brings.

No comments: