Essentially, the structures in the tunnel run out of space - like too much data through a bandwidth, or six lanes of traffic merging into three. Something has to give, and in this case, the median nerve becomes inflamed and it starts sending messages of pain and discomfort. Attending to this syndrome immediately will prevent going under the knife. Some ways to treat carpal tunnel syndrome include:
- Avoid and/or limit repetitive wrist activities
- Wearing wrist splints to alleviate pain and discomfort
- Using NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) to reduce pain and inflammation
- Reduced pain after surgery
- Less scar tissue
- Quicker resumption of normal activities
- Better cosmetic result for patients.