On Thursday April 15th, 2010 SIRC’s Toronto Regional Information Specialist had the honour of attending the 45th annual Ontario Sport Awards which took place at the Atlantis Pavilion, Ontario Place, presented by the Sport Alliance of Ontario and the Ministry of Health Promotion. The event was hosted by Hugh Burrill, City TV sports anchor and Alexandra Orlando, Rhythmic Gymnast, Olympian and Pan Am Bid Committee Member.
The night got underway with the Corporate Sport Citations which are presented annually by the Province of Ontario to corporations that have been a leader in supporting sport through sustained corporate involvement over several years. The next award on the agenda was the SYL APPS Special Achievement Awards, which are presented annually to volunteers who have contributed to the development of sport in the province.
Other big Winners of the night were:
- Male Athlete of the Year - Patrick Chan (Skating)
- Female Athlete of the Year - Priscilla Lopes-Schliep (Athletics)
- Male Athlete with a Disability of the Year - Stephen Jesso (Powerlifting)
- Female Athlete with a Disability of the Year - Erika Schmutz (Wheelchair Rugby)
- Female Coach of the Year – Wendy Morgan (Ontario Curling Council)
- Male Coach of the Year – Anthony McCleary (Athletics)
- Team of the Year – NEXXICE Senior Synchronized Skating Team (Skate Ontario)
- Rolf Lund Jule Nisse Award – Sheilagh Croxon (Coaches Association of Ontario)
To view all award winners at the 2009 Ontario Sport Awards please click here