The reason most athletes skimp on this vital part of their workout is because the benefits are simply overlooked.
Benefits of core training:
- Develop better posture
- Decreases back pain
- Helps injury prevention and rehabilitation
- Increased flexibility
- Greater physical strength
- Improved respiration and lung capacity
- For seniors, it can help to improve balance, reduce injury, and maintain mobility
References from the SIRC Collection:
1. Aggarwal A, Kumar S, Kumar D. EFFECT OF CORE STABILIZATION TRAINING ON THE LOWER BACK ENDURANCE IN RECREATIONALLY ACTIVE INDIVIDUALS. Journal Of Musculoskeletal Research. December 2010;13(4):167-176.
2. Han C, Wang W, Cheng B, Liu S. Basic Issues of the Core Strength Training: The Core Area and Core Stability. Journal Of Tianjin Institute Of Sport / Tianjin Tiyu Xueyuan Xuebao. March 2012;27(2):117-120.
3. LaRue L. Wave of the Fitness Future: 3-D CORE TRAINING. Volleyball. May 2011;22(4):26-29.
4. Nelson N. Diaphragmatic Breathing: The Foundation of Core Stability. Strength & Conditioning Journal (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins). October 2012;34(5):34-40.
5. Sudicky A. Core without the Crunches. Volleyball. April 2012;23(3):24-27.
6. Yu J, Lee G. Effect of core stability training using pilates on lower extremity muscle strength and postural stability in healthy subjects. Isokinetics & Exercise Science. June 2012;20(2):141-146.