Thursday, August 12, 2010

Do I need a license for that? Music and Copyright

Any public performance of music falls under Canada’s Copyright Act. This means that if you are playing music at an event you will need to have a license from SOCAN. For sport, recreation and physical activity Tariff 9, Tariff 19 and Tariff 21 are commonly requested licenses.

  • Tariff 9 allows you to play music at events involving baseball, football, hockey, basketball, skating competitions, races, track meets and other sport events.
  • Tariff 19 allows you to play music involving physical exercise (dancercize, aerobics, body building and other similar activities) and dance instruction that take place in one room.
  • Tariff 21 allows you to play music in school and/or community recreational facilities for activities such as figure skating, hockey, fitness activities and amateur rodeos.

For additional information go to:

Helpful Links:

No comments: